Thursday 4 August 2011

Assignment 5 (Mini Research/SPSS and Qualitative Analysis)

Assalamualaikum Wbt.

Sorry for the delay of posting my reflection. Despite my jam-packed schedule of life, I am really grateful for being able to complete my Assignment 5 according to the frame time given. This assignment which I personally believe was the toughest that I have had so far. We were required to come out with a questionnaire and the later, we were told to produce a mini research report based on the data gathered from the survey. It was indeed a new learning experience for me. Truth to be told, it was not a smooth ride for me to get the job done. I have gone through some thick and thin time. Fortunately, my partner, Barbara Kath was indeed very helpful in helping me to get through all the time. Have I mentioned that she is an IT savvy? She really is very encouraging and I was motivated when it comes to working with someone like her. A bunch of thank to Barbara Kath for all your guidance.

As aforementioned, this was not an easy task to be done. ICT has never been my cup of tea. So, when I first read the instruction, honestly, I believe all of us were a little bit puzzled as the instructions given were not that very clear. However, our course lecturer, Mr. Fariduddin was really thoughtful as he helped to contact our course coordinator to clarify things up. Luckily, we managed to get the idea of what we should be doing for that particular assignment. So, before we came out with our mini research report, we were first told to create a questionnaire which was actually just a pilot test. This was just to expose us on the steps of creating a questionnaire. Before we could produce the real questionnaire which would be distributed among ourselves (IPGKS B.ED TESL students and our fellow course mates from IPGKDRI), we were required to create a questionnaire at www.surveymonkey.com. The steps were quite easy, even an IT illiterate like me could manage it, seriously! We just need to register, which was for free as well as the signing up process. Then, we were asked to create some questions and then emailed the completed questionnaire for pilot test to each and every one of us.

Creating the questionnaire in the surveymonkey.com was the easiest part ever. However, what made me and my partner kind of pissed off was waiting for the responds. It was really time consuming since everybody was busy creating their own one until they did not have small ample of time to answer the questionnaire. In fact, we have to wait for a day to get replied. If only everybody has responded earlier, I believe we could finish the task earlier. But, I do understand their predicament. Back to our business, after we have done with our pilot test, we were then required to create another questionnaire, the one which would be used to produce a mini research report by using Google Document. The steps were as follow.

1.    Use Gmail account.
2.    Open Google Document.
3.    Create New and click Form
4.    Add demography and item/question in variety format such as multiple choice, checkboxes and scale.
5.    Test it among fellow course mates.
6.     Download the completed questionnaire in Excel format which will be imported in SPSS
7.    Send to course mates from IPGKS and IPGKDRI.

Thus, I could tell that, the process of creating the questionnaire was a little bit challenging as well. Again, the same problem occurred in order to get this task completed. We have had hard time to wait for reply especially from fellow course mates from IPGKDRI. Perhaps they were also busy with their assignments and I do really understand that. But, we could not proceed with SPSS since we have not gathered enough data to be analysed. We could only manage to wait until we have received a number of replies.

            After a few days and we have managed to collect some data, we then proceed with our SPSS. Honestly, that was the first time I ever heard of SPSS. It was kind of alien to me in the first place. I did not know how it works, what should I do with it, stuff like that. Thank to Lord, we were being assisted by such a wonderful lecturer, Mr. Fariduddin. He was willing to explain in details the steps of using SPSS and willing to give a helping hand whenever we needed him. We were very much indeed thankful to have such a dedicated lecturer like him. Initially, I was wondering why do we need to use SPSS in order to analyse all the date. I then gained a very essential knowledge that SurveyMonkey and Google Document can only be used to record and analyse data just for a simple survey. Since we were carrying out a survey which needs to include different types of questions such as Checkboxes, Multiple choices and Scale, so we need to analyse them by using a computer aided quantitative data analysis such as SPSS.

Later then, based on the data that we have received from our fellow course mates, we then were told to make a report on our mini research in a journal article format complete with references.  Well, since we have done our journal previously, so it was not a really big deal for us to write another one. However, they were slightly differences than the one that we have written before. It was just this time, we have to come out with findings which including all the gathered data and we have to deduce the possibility, the reasons to the data that we received. In short, it was a whole brand new learning experience that I have got from this particular task.

As a conclusion, I personally believe that ICT is just merely about exploring it. We have to explore it in order to get to know it better. Just give it a try because the experience itself that teaches you how to do things. For instance, I never heard of SPSS before but now I shall proudly say that I think I can handle it quite well. These are some of the important skills that need to be polished up. Who says an English teacher does not have to have a profound knowledge about ICT? I greatly believe that learning new things is never a waste of time. In fact, it teaches you to be wiser, smarter and mature person. Once again, I would to express my gratitude and thanks to everyone, my friends from IPGKS and fellow course mates from IPGKDRI for all of you have put a lot of effort in getting our job done. Hopefully we could apply the new knowledge and experience that we have gained in future to make us become a better student, a better man and a better teacher, God willing!

Thank You!
Happy Learning!
Good Day!

AHMAD AZRUL AFEZE BIN AHMAD ROSDI
B.Ed TESL IPGKS-UKM
IPG Kampus Sarawak
Jalan Bakam
98009 Miri
Sarawak

Email                : afezeukm@yahoo.com/afezeukm@gmail.com
Facebook          : http://www.facebook.com/afezeukm
Yahoo group!   :http://groups.yahoo.com/group/afezeukm


No comments:

Post a Comment